Surveying License



To work as a surveyor in North Carolina, you must be licensed by the North Carolina Board of Examiners for Engineers and Surveyors.

How do I obtain a license?
Take the exam:
Graduates with Bachelor of Science degree that includes 45 semester hours in surveying subjects can take the licensing exams after two years of progressive practical land surveying experience. At least one year of experience must be under the supervision of a professional land surveyor.

Graduates with a two-year degree in surveying can take the exams with four years of progressive experience.

Graduates with a high school diploma can take the licensing exam after 7 years of progressive experience.

Share references:
At least five references (two of which must be from Professional Land Surveyors) must be submitted to the Board. The references should vouch that you are of good character and reputation.

Learn more information about obtaining a surveyor’s license here.